The Field - A Beginning

Monday 9 July 2012

Weekend away

We went to Centre Parks for the weekend and I'm not sure I liked being away from the "farm" very much.  We had a great time, as one always does at centre park,s and the kids loved it but I am very pleased to be home.  I didn't sleep very well on the first night away, worrying about the wretched turkeys and then moped about a bit on Saturday morning missing the dog! Still, at least I knew all the animals were in the capable hands of the lovely Paula (ponies, dog and turkeys) and my fabulous neighbour Martha (both sets of chickens). I am pleased that we have cancelled our week long summer holiday for August, we won't need to go away again now until next year when hopefully we will be more set up and feel able to leave things more easily.

Anyway we are back now and the turkeys are enormous.  We are currently having a housing crisis, they are far far far too big for the run we have for them in the garage and so out of desperation I have let them loose in the garage.  They are making such a mess in there it is unbelievable. Russell is as I type trying to get the outdoor run finished for them so they can go out on the field.  Mind you, we are concerned about the wet weather and so it is probably a good thing that they are still indoors.

I had my first go at instructing today at RDA.  I was pretty nervous but prepared a little 30 min lesson (walking 10m circles, halting and trotting) and it all seemed to go ok.  I lost control of everyone a bit at one point, and Jaki had plenty of feedback for me at the end but overall I think it was a fair first attempt and I LOVED it! Its always quite nice being bossy and in charge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment