The Field - A Beginning

Monday 14 May 2012

Phew, a good day

It's dog eat dog out there in the world of pony buying.  On Sunday I called a lady about her pony she had advertised, she told me that another family had called her several times and were viewing the pony at 6pm that evening.  I was already taking Luke and Claudia over to Watford to see another pony, so I asked if I could call in to see her pony on our way back at 3.30pm. She said yes, but obviously the other family would need to have first refusal of the pony (strange world of pony viewing, where etiquette is v important). Anyway we saw the pony and Luke loved him (as did I), I called the lady on my way home and offered her the full asking price for the pony just before 6pm! She was pleased but said she would still need to let the other family see him.  Later that evening she called me to say the other family had also offered the full  asking price. Rats, I thought.  She said that she would happily sell the pony to either of us, but she thought we might also offer the pony a nice home and a home for longer, as my children were a lot younger than the children in the other family. She explained that she would take the night to think it over and call me the next day with her decision.  I took the opportunity, ala in the boardroom on" the Apprentice", to press upon her how well we would care for the pony and love him and keep him for many, many years.  A bit later on I texted her to up our offer by £200.  After a night of hoping that she would decide to sell the pony to us, the next morning she called to say she would! Yes! Luke was thrilled, I was thrilled. yes yes yes.  Now just to hope he passes the vet check on Friday.  He is such a lovely pony, I really hope he does. 

Things are looking up.

In fact, today I have gone back to thinking how blessed we are.  If God does exist, then I am very grateful to him for guiding us to this point in our lives, and if he doesn't then I am still very grateful to whatever greater force; be it fate, or karma, or whatever, that has brought us here.  Plus of course the hard work over a good few decades of my lovely husband (and a few years of hard work myself, though really it is all Russell!) to provide us with the financial resources to buy the field.  We have also been  very fortunate recently in inheriting some money from my late step grandfather.  This is also a blessing for us and we will use this money to help create our little legacy, here, on our field in Furneux Pelham.  I know he will be thrilled at what we are doing.

I'm still worrying over a million things, I won't go on about them here but to provide a "high level summary" of my worries; today I am mostly worrying about:

1. Whether we can get the ponies on and off the field along the track, as the wheat crop is growing taller every day, thus making the path for us to walk along seem narrower by the day;
2. Will the fencing be finished in time? - I have arranged for both ponies to come on the 26 May (fret, fret);
3. Will the grass be cut in time? (worry, worry);
4. Will we manage the turkeys?
5. Will I pass my stage 2?
6. Am I giving the kids enough attention whilst soring all this out?

And then I think of the kids riding and its all ok again.  Claudia looks adorable in her riding hat and here is a pic of their little johdpur boots:

x x x


No comments:

Post a Comment