The Field - A Beginning

Thursday 4 July 2013

Round and Round We Go

Ok so the cyclical nature of farming continues with the arrival of the 2013 Christmas turkey poults - so very cute at one day old.  I had been quite blasé and relaxed about the getting the turkeys this year, having been through it all once last year, but as I drove away from Pat's with the little turks cheeping in the box beside me on the passenger seat I felt the familiar feeling of worry and anxiety pass over me.  Rather like childbirth, I had forgotten what a worry the turks were last year from the moment they arrived until the moment they were eaten (sorry to be blunt).  Anyway, I remember it now!

Our home breeding programme is a wash out with now only 1 live poult remaining.  Next year we will invest in an incubator and hatch the eggs artificially.  I can see why these heritage breeds are almost extinct - the females do not make good natural mothers and the poults are intent on killing themselves.

I've been back on to various members of the council - landscape officer, planning officer, engineer etc to try to get some more of the planning conditions discharged.  A time consuming task and I find myself once again biting my tongue and being polite when really I want to scream "Oh My God just let us do it!!". 

Last Sunday was spent carefully spraying weedkiller round the 500 new hedge plants and spreading grass seed on the new bank.

The manege is nearly finished and the groundworks are underway for the stables and yard. Scarily we had two builders, a guy with a digger, keith working on the manege and Greg and Duncan taking out the old hedge all at the same time.  As I wondered out each day to speak to them all and check on progress / answer questions it felt a bit scary - how many workmen = how much £? Still, sure it will all be ok. Yes, completely sure. Sure I'm sure. There, have convinced myself.

We are a building site, and a very happy one at that!

x



No comments:

Post a Comment